4.06.2012

Where I come from there's corn bread and chicken

On Wednesday night we got to go and see my uncle Al (yes my uncle is younger than me) open his mission call. My grandma wanted all of us to bring dishes of food from where we thought he was going. I decided that Alex would be going to the place where he was born, which is Louisiana. That's also where Orange served. I had Oran tell me what to make, and he told me fried chicken and corn bread were the way to go. I gotta admit I make dang good gluten free corn bread, but I had never fried chicken before in my life. I looked online for an easy way to do it, and got to work.
Let my just say frying chicken is the scariest thing I have ever done. I mean that oil is hot, and it burns even if a little splashes on you. I was terrified. Also, while I was looking on line to see if canola oil should boil, I read that someone almost had a house fire because the oil caught on fire. I almost had a panic attack and grabbed the fire extinguisher and set it on the counter, you know just in case. I knew if I didn't grab a fire extinguisher I would do something stupid in the moment like... throw water on it? Yes I'm blonde and such things are possible. Obviously I know not to throw water on oil, and if you don't, believe me when I say you don't want to do that.
Anyway, no fire's started, and I didn't have to use the extinguisher thank goodness.

The chicken actually turned out pretty dang good, if I do say so myself. For a first timer anyway. I'll definitely try it again some day, but probably when someone else is around to make sure I don't do anything stupid.
If you want to learn how to fry chicken you can find the recipe here.

Back to uncle Al. He and his best friend got their mission calls on the same day, so they decided to open them together. It was really cool, and I guessed where one of them was going right! I felt so special.
 Seth is going to Mexico! (which I guessed)
Alex is going to the Spain-Madrid mission! Way cool.

 All future missionaries leaving in August.



So happy for you and proud of you Alex! You'll be a great missionary!!

1 comment:

Rae Ann said...

Ashlee... this is a great post! I loved your chicken and cornbread. There were very tasty. Thanks for sharing it with me! I also love the pictures that you took of the guys:)