11.11.2012

The Show Must Go On.

There is something about me many people may not have ever known. Even close friends. Ever since I was a little girl, I wanted to be an actress. When I was really little maybe 5 or 6 I got to be in small play for Christmas, depicting Christ's birth. I was the angel who spoke to the wise men, and I forgot all my lines, and all the people in the crowd had to help me.
When I was in 3rd grade, my neighbor told my mom about auditions for an acting agent in Salt Lake. We all decided to go up there for fun and try out. We got a little commercial jingle we had to memorize, then we waited in a line, and said the jingle in front of a camera, while the agent watched us.
I was always a shy girl, so my mom really didn't think I had it in me. My brother, on the other hand, was very outgoing and she thought he would definitely get it.
I guess when I got in front of the camera, I was really not nervous at all. I messed up and started giggling, so I for sure thought I wouldn't even be considered. It was a big surprise to us all, when later on they called and asked me to come back.
When I got there they had me read a few more things in front of the camera, and make different faces, and I was so excited. Then they took us into a room and discussed costs. Unfortunately we figured out it was a scam, and passed it up.
Ever since that moment in time, I wanted to act. More than I had wanted anything. A lady who lived in my grandmas neighborhood had kids who were actually on the show Dawson's Creek (if any of you remember that show) and told me she could help me get in touch with their agent. But we lost contact with her, and it never happened.
I pursued other things but being an actress never left my mind. I took drama two years in a row in Jr. High, and musical theatre. I always planned on auditioning for the plays but I was always too busy with cheer.
Finally Senior year, I got up the courage to audition for Les Miserables. (Read about it here.) I really had no idea what I was doing. I hadn't done any acting since junior high, and I had quit choir sophmore year to do college classes. I didn't really have anything going for me, but it was my first real audition, and I was proud of myself for doing it, even if I didn't make it.
The next time I decided to audition for something was a month ago, when I auditioned for Pippi Longstocking at the Children's Theatre with my husband. My husband is a regular at that theatre, and he has always begged me to audition for a show but I never had the guts. Finally I did. I made it to call backs, but did not make the actual play. (Oran did) Then last week, I auditioned again, for a play my husband has been in since we started dating. I love this play so much, and it has become something that comes a long with Christmas every year. It's called Babes in Toyland, and is a hilarious musical. Last year I had promised myself that I would audition for it. It always looked so fun to be in that awesome cast, and I was getting a little tired of being the TCT groupie (meaning I have gone to practically all the shows, some rehearsals, and a lot of backstage parties, not to mention I'm married to one of the actors.)
After chugging an energy drink, singing lots of songs to calm my nerves, and praying my heart out, I have finally got the opportunity to act!
I can't tell you guys how excited I am, and how important this is to me. I feel so blessed and privileged to be in this show, and know that this is a great opportunity for me! Most of all, I am proud that I have never given up, even when it seemed like it was never going to happen. I am not one of those who gets these kinds of things handed to me, I have to work for it, but I am so glad that I did!
(Last years cast at rehearsal)
 
(Last year after the play.)

No comments: