12.24.2009

Baby it's cold outside

Twas Christmas eve and all through the house, everyone was stiring, probably even a mouse.
Amid all the hustle and bustle that the Christmas season brings, I think everyone forgets what CHRISTmas is all about. Everyone seems to be carried away with all the presents, and getting everything done, and well... recieving presents. I have learned, though, that the greatest gift is giving to others.
My grandma is in charge of a foundation called the Shadow Light foundation, and they help those who are less fortunate recieve Christmas, and I helped out with that a lot this year. It started by shopping for the presents and then wrapping them. I am most definitely not the most talented wrapper in the world, actually I'm quite terrible at it, but I did my best. I didn't have the best attitude as I was wrapping the gifts, probably because I didn't quite know what the effect of them would be.
But when I did see the affect, it left me in tears.
I went with my uncle and his friend Sean to deliver to a lady who lived in a one bedroom apartment, and she was completely alone. My grandmother told me she was going through a rough time so we needed to cheer her up. I didn't think too much of it, as we drove toward her lowly apartment to deliver the gifts to her. When we got to her door she was hesitant to open up to us. I'm assuming a lot of suspicious characters come around there. When we told her we were delivering gifts she opened her door with a confused look on her face. She didn't know us and we didn't know her, I can imagine her confusion. My uncle handed her the gifts and I told her that they were from Santa. ( were not supposed to let people know who did it) She took the bag, and looked at each one of our faces, and tears filled her eyes. " thank you so much" she kept repeating as the tears stained her cheeks.
This brought tears to my eyes. If only I could help her more... When we left her small apartment, I could feel such a great happiness build up inside me. My heart felt so full. I can't remember being that happy. There really is a spirit to giving. I would rather give to others than get worldly things. That happiness cannot be mocked or made in any other form than giving.
Please everyone, remember how fortunate and blessed you are to be who you are, and have the life you have. There are others who are in more need than you... always. So give and help those around you. It is the best source of happiness.
The greatest gift we get for christmas Is Christ our savior. Lets not forget about him as we open our presents tommorow and go throughout the day. He is the reason for being. He saved us, so we can live in Heaven again, and I am so thankful for him. He is the best present:)
I love you all merry CHRISTmas. :)
love ash

No comments: